I was curious about what was announced about the next version of EGL (Enterprise Generation Language). EGL v7 will be bundled with the Rational tools, as usual.
So what’s new in v7:
- Full WebSphere Portal and Portlet creation.
- Eclipse rich-client support provides a native desktop operating system look and feel, along with all of the features supported in Windows, Linux or UNIX user interfaces, including drag-and-drop support.
I have heard rumors of other things, but that’s already pretty cool. Now let’s see if I can do portlets and embed them into JBoss Portal…
Thus Bob Cancilla is an iSeries guru (this is an AS/400 guru), he admits that learning EGL is fairly easy: “EGL can be easily learned by existing RPG, COBOL or Visual Basic programmers”. This is also true for Informix 4GL users, who will find some similarities in the statements.
- Bob Cancilla’s article IBM Systems Magazine, March 2006.
- IBM developerWorks zone on EGL (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/products/egl/).
- Jonathan Sayles’ excellent documents on EGL (http://www.jsayles.com/ibm).